Been on a motorcycle lately???

I was just at a family party and someone drove over a brand-new 2000 Yamaha R1 ($11,000) with only 4,000 miles. He said, "Go ahead, take it around the block". Well, you don't have to hit me over the head twice. Notes: wonderful STOCK exhaust note, OEM Ti pipe. Seriously light. 390lbs. Felt…

Page(s): < Previous 1 2 ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 Next > (7911 items total)

• Joined 5/12/00
  • Originally posted Friday, July 30, 2010 (4 years ago)
  • Edited on Friday, July 30, 2010 8:41 pm (4 years ago)

Just added a new fork brace, gaiters and new rear shocks. Took it for a test ride on some rough roads and it's a MAJOR improvement.

• Joined 2/5/01
  • Originally posted Saturday, July 31, 2010 (4 years ago)
Response to Effervescent in post #7829 Show

damn...you have a ten gallon tank or something?

I may not live there anymore, but my dancing feet will always be from L.A.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Saturday, July 31, 2010 (4 years ago)

Just under 9!

• Joined 5/12/00
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 16, 2010 (4 years ago)

Yo Eff, you need a Beemer like one of these.

This was at Virginia International Raceway a few weeks ago. Here's a panoramic view of the course and the surrounding hills.

And here's my friend Stan from Jacksonville, FL rounding the oak tree on his '72 Norton.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Friday, September 17, 2010 (4 years ago)

FUN!

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Monday, October 11, 2010 (4 years ago)

Soooo, BMW is coming out with a 6 cylinder touring bike. Inline-6 similar to their cars' engines.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Monday, October 11, 2010 (4 years ago)

You like those flying bricks? Boxers are the only BMWs in my eyes.

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, December 9, 2010 (3 years ago)

Might soon be in the market for a R1200 GSAdv, though I would consider an '05-'07 GS.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Thursday, December 9, 2010 (3 years ago)
Response to zeno in post #7837 Show

Truth be told I never liked the flying bricks but the new 1200 inline 4 are forces of nature.

Have you driven an I-6 Bimmer (car) mill though? Sublime. If this new mill is anything like that...I might be interested.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Thursday, December 9, 2010 (3 years ago)
Response to Monsignore in post #7838 Show

Did the test ride sell ya? ;)

Good news!

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Tuesday, January 18, 2011 (3 years ago)
Response to Effervescent in post #7840 Show

It pretty much sealed it.

I just ordered a pair of Motoport's Ultra II Kevlar overpants.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Tuesday, January 18, 2011 (3 years ago)

HOT DOG!

We driving down Sunday?

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Wednesday, January 19, 2011 (3 years ago)

Don't know yet.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Sunday, January 23, 2011 (3 years ago)

So Eff, how often do you go off road with your GSA? I just looked at a R1200R and it's simplicity is so awesome. The GS twins are awesome too but seems that the R1200R would cover most needs, unless you specifically planned to go on trails.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Sunday, January 23, 2011 (3 years ago)

Thinking...

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Sunday, January 23, 2011 (3 years ago)

alt text

Zeno,

Rarely.

The times I have it, it has really paid off. Imagine 5 miles of SOFT recently plowed dirt road...with Chu...and with 250 goddamn lbs of gear in Vermont. DOWNHILL! It would have been even better if I had knobbies. At the end of the day, its far too big for real off roadin'. Be mindful that you need a 32 inseam or more to ride a GSA - it's a big boy. It is, by far, the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Just as the /2 had absolutely the most soul, the ZX-11D was absolutely the quickest and fastest...the GS Adv is the absolute best overall.

GSA ROCKS at hauling gear however, and comfort! All that suspension travel makes for a really comfy super-slab hauler. Plus (for the City) it laughs at getting knocked over. Also, the bike is big time bad ass. With the R ain't.

The R (WITH BAGS!) is a wonderful universal bike. And flickable. And light. And cheaper. I fear it is about to be upgraded soon with a "mo' better" engine and suspension however. Plus it has zero wind protection. A major negative if you plan to ride farther than say 20 miles.

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Sunday, January 23, 2011 (3 years ago)

If I had oodles of greenbacks I would buy a GSA instantly. That 8gallon+ tank and ability to carry more crap than you need has me dreaming of riding to California ... in a straight line.

As it is, I will likely be getting a GS, by no means a bike to sneeze at. The most off-roading I will likely be doing would be gravel parking lots or doing doughnuts in Eff's lawn. That, and my wife would need to stop to pee more often than an 8gallon+ tank needs to be refilled.
But should I feel the need to carry more petrol...

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Monday, January 24, 2011 (3 years ago)

WHAT DID I DO!?! :D

It's widely recognized that the GS is the better road bike (lighter, more flickable, a pinch quicker) compared to the GS Adv.

8.7 gallons really is just pays off with A) bragging rights and) oddly enough, shorter trips. What I mean is that with the big tank, I can go more days of city/suburban riding w/o needing to get to a gas station. Sure it gives you more range on the big trips but generally everybody wants to get off and pee/stretch/eat/drink every 3-4 hours anyway. The smaller GS tank lasts that long. alt text Here's one example: on our last big NYC to Maine motorcycle camping trip (Chu, Monsignore, and about 6 other friends) I rode from Long Island to Maine and back to Long Island only needing to flip up the GS Adv's gas cap once. But in actuality, I stopped with everyone else who needed gas along the way and was happy to stretch out, dump cold water in my helmet (bootleg A/C), and pee down the occasional storm drainage catch.

Wait. What?

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Monday, January 24, 2011 (3 years ago)

Speaking of which: Monsignore, let's get the planning on a big ass road trip going!

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Monday, January 24, 2011 (3 years ago)

I'll probably need to buy a new Stadium Pal.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Saturday, January 29, 2011 (3 years ago)

Best investment ever.

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Sunday, January 30, 2011 (3 years ago)

Oh, momma...
alt text
Kawi W800 Cafe Racer

And it gladdened my heart significantly to discover that my wife really digs the look of the old cafe racer style.
Maybe I should shave the beard & moustache and go for the '50s Brit biker aesthetic. Balfour, anyone?

• Joined 5/12/00
  • Originally posted Sunday, January 30, 2011 (3 years ago)
  • Edited on Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:35 am (3 years ago)

Don't worry about it, Monsignore. According to http://autoesque.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-kawasaki-w800-price.html, they're not going to import it into the US just yet. You could always get one of the new Triumph Thruxtons, though.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Tuesday, February 1, 2011 (3 years ago)

I just reserved an R1200R in San Fran for this Friday. Planning on riding Highway 1 to LA.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Sunday, February 6, 2011 (3 years ago)

I just rode 950 miles from SF > LA > SF on the R1200R. I still prefer my /2

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Sunday, February 6, 2011 (3 years ago)

Please explain.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Monday, February 7, 2011 (3 years ago)

I find my solo saddle on my /2 to be more comfortable.

I like the /2 flywheel (12 lbs) better. Less lurching and less sensitivity to quick throttle changes.

R1200R has lots of torque but at the price of a smoother ride.

I took a passenger and the seat forces the passenger to lean against me. I like my /2's separate seating arrangement.

I thought the turning radius on my /2 was bad. The R1200R has a terrible turning radius.

I like how the cylinders on my /2 warm my feet. I underestimated how cold my feet would get with the oil cooled cylinders.

Don't get me wrong, I like the extra power. There's no way I could do 85 mph on a steep grade on my /2 that I was doing on the R1200R but I feel like it's about the only thing I get while losing everything else.

• Joined 9/23/99
  • Originally posted Monday, February 7, 2011 (3 years ago)

Welllll, in fairness, didn't the /2 come with a stock BMW bench seat. Technically, the solo is an aftermarket option (I think). In which case, you could throw on a Day-Long saddle ( http://www.day-long.com/) and ride in comfortable for 2 straight weeks. :D

Also, I have a feeling it's not the flywheel weight but the 4X more rear wheel horsepower you were sensing.

But hands down, the /2 has more soul, right?

But how about:

Handling feedback?

Braking feedback?

Safety feedback?

Did it have heated grips? Saddlebags? ABS?

How were the wheelies, Bad Boy? What was your top speed? Tell the truth!

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Monday, February 7, 2011 (3 years ago)
  • Edited on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:02 pm (3 years ago)

Handling feedback, a bit sluggish. The bike is a monster. I imagine the GS even more so.

The quick braking was definitely confidence inspiring. I had no problems keeping a reasonable distance, whereas on the /2, I keep a maximal distance. I didn't get a chance to use ABS.

The extra weight was appreciated and made cross winds less of an issue.

The saddlebags keyed with the same key were cool.

Heated grips were OK. It kept my palms warm but did nothing about the top of my fingers. They still got cold.

California freeways are fast. People go 75 on average on the right lane. I was trying to stay below 80, but in 5th gear, it inevitably goes more towards 85mph. I felt the sweet spot RPM was about 5000. However to try, I got into 6th gear going about 95. Never broke 100.

Edit: The solo seat and low euro bars came standard. In the US, I believe people had the option of the US bars as well as a bench seat

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Tuesday, February 8, 2011 (3 years ago)
  • Edited on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:12 am (3 years ago)

check out the beautiful grumble of an R69S