Gmail - Ok, it's much better now! I like it!

Ok, I have been using gmail for a few months now. And honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about. I was using Hotmail as my primary email. When I switched to gmail, it was because hotmail had low storage space. Well, hotmail expanded their mailbox size immensely back in January. Here's…

Page(s): < Previous 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 (343 items total)

• Joined 11/29/00
  • Originally posted Tuesday, June 23, 2009 (5 years ago)

of course, an obvious answer would be to double check the recipient list before hitting send.

however, gmail has a function where you can cancel your email for few seconds after you hit send.

• Joined 1/15/01
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

So here's the thing.. I have a fairly common first name and last name, and naturally, after I picked firstname.lastname gmail as my email address, someone else came along and took firstnamelastname gmail (with no dot in between).

I have gotten emails meant for my namesake from time to time, so usually I just let the recipient know and we go on our merry way. But the other day I got an email saying, "Welcome to Facebook!" with all the relevant signup information, and at the bottom of the email it said that it was meant for firstnamelastname gmail (no dot). I've been on FB for years, so at first I thought it was a phishing email, but then I remembered Mugsy saying something about how Gmail will send some emails to BOTH firstnamelastname gmail AND firstname.lastname gmail.

I REALLY don't want to get all of this chick's Facebook emails. I clicked on the link at the bottom of the email that said "Think these notification emails are for someone else?" and reported the email.

My question is, does anyone know WHY they would send some emails to both addresses, or which emails they choose to send to both? I'm clearly not getting ALL of this chick's email, otherwise I'd go nuts.

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

That should not work that way, Ms. Pance. Because Gmail ignores the "dot". I can get email at matt.stratton or mattstratton.

However, I have a similar issue where occassionally I get mail for another Matt Stratton. I believe that he actually is mstratton or matthewstratton or something, but some people are dumb and using the wrong email address. It's possible that this is what is happening to you.

This is basically what Google says is happening, as well: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&amp;answer=10313

Your address is similar but has more or fewer dots (.) or different capitalization. Sometimes you may receive a message intended for someone whose address is similar to yours but has a different number or arrangement of periods. For example, your address might be homerjsimpson gmail.com, but the message was sent to a Homer.J.Simpson gmail.com. While we know it might be unnerving if you think someone else's mail is being routed to your account, this is actually caused by a simple misunderstanding. Here's why: Gmail allows only one registration for any given username. Once you sign up for a username, nobody else can sign up for the same username, regardless of whether it contains extra periods or capital letters; those usernames belong to you. If you created yourusername gmail.com, no one can ever register your.username gmail.com, or Your.user.name gmail.com. Because Gmail doesn't recognize dots as characters within usernames, you can add or remove the dots from a Gmail address without changing the actual destination address; they'll all go to your inbox, and only yours. If you're homerjsimpson gmail.com, no one owns Homer.J.Simpson gmail.com, except for you. If you're getting mail addressed to Homer.J.Simpson gmail.com, it's likely that someone was trying to send a message to Homer.J.Sampson gmail.com, or Homer.J.Simpson1 gmail.com, and made a mistake. You might even get messages from mailing lists or website registrations because the person who signed up for them accidentally provided your address. In these cases, we suggest contacting the original sender or website when possible to alert them to the mistake. When you sign in to your account, you can use any configuration of dots in the 'Username' field. So, if you originally signed up for yourusername gmail.com, you can sign in with 'your.user.name gmail.com'.

We are the keepers of Funny, the Judges, the Whisperers. We are Superior Naysayers And Rebukers of Knavery. We are SNARK. - Boosh!

• Joined 1/15/01
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

So you're saying that you don't think someone else signed up as firstnamelastname gmail (inserting my first and last name, of course)? And that this chick may have signed up for Facebook and entered THE WRONG EMAIL ADDRESS FOR HERSELF?

People are morons.

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

There's some anecdotal evidence that if you have an "old" Gmail account (which would apply to both Ms. Pance and myself) it might predate the whole "dots are ignored" thing, so someone COULD have registered swingkitten after she did swing.kitten.

I'm still not sold though.

• Joined 10/4/04
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

On my kshapiro gmail account, I get email for at least 3 or 4 other people. I just delete it mostly. Lately I've been getting email for a pet hospital, GUESS.com, and once I got email from what looked like an account manager trying to get expense reports from a freelancer. The tone of those emails finally got sufficiently upset that I felt the need to write back and let her know she was e-barking up the wrong tree.

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

That is possible, Amanda, although further research seems to think that if both the dotted and undotted accounts were created in the "early days" of Gmail, they might have gotten through. I don't remember - how old is your Gmail account?

This really does concern me though - if this other mattstratton gets my email sometimes...it's a huge security risk. That being said, I just sent an email to mattstratton and it went right to me. Hmm.

That being said, I'm doing further digging and it appears that the whole "in the early days of Gmail you could have dotted and undotted accounts" is totally anecdotal. I'm thinking it is far more likely that the other amandapance is a moron and forgets that she is swingkitten1, you know?

• Joined 1/15/01
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

I signed up for Gmail when it was still invite-based. Does that make me old-skool? I think it was at least five years ago.

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

Now that we've discussed this further in email, Pancy, I think that this is totally that the chick is a friggin' moron and giving out the wrong email address. Again, this is what I think happens with MY issue - or, in my case, more likely, he's mstratton gmail and people send to mattstratton gmail since the general convention is firstname.lastname (I have a friend who does first initial lastname in his gmail and it drives me batty since everyone else is firstname.lastname)

• Joined 1/15/01
  • Originally posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 (5 years ago)

I think I'm going to go on Facebook and make a page for "NOT being a moron and giving out the wrong email address for yourself" and ask people to be fans of it.

Because I know I am a fan of not being a moron and giving out the wrong email address for yourself. I know other people have to be as well.

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010 (4 years ago)

So this is interesting...I always thought that the "other" mattstratton on gmail was really matthewstratton or something, and just his family and friends occasionally sent to the wrong email address.

Except that he just signed up for Facebook with that email account. Weird.

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010 (4 years ago)

I'm thinking that the Facebook signup under the other email thing (that both Amanda and I experienced) is actually from a phishing/malware scam. When I clicked on the link in the email saying that "this was not me" or whatever, it already said "this email address has been removed by system administrators". So I suspect that Facebook admins already figured out that it was a fake account (maybe due to how it was signed up) and suspended it.

What's odd is that the user's name was Matthew Stratton, but the email address was mattstratton@gmail

• Joined 2/25/00
  • Originally posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 (2 years ago)
Response to Mugsy Malone in post #39 Show

Ha. The biggest irony of the fact that Gmail supports "inline pasting of images" now?

I do it ALL THE EFFIN' TIME.

Things change. Oh, how they change.Blockquote

Page(s): < Previous 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 (343 items total)