Has anyone had Lasik surgery?

• Joined 1/30/00

Any advice on what to look for or expect?

Yehoodi Featured Topics

Related Topics

Lasik

(28 items total, 30 per page)

• Joined 7/13/05
  • Originally posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 (7 years ago)

The info below might be useful. It's from the University of California at Berekely Wellness Letter, which I would say is a good source. FWIW, this is the link, but it only works for subscribers: http://wellnessletter.com//subCorner/RA2001/scRA0901_06.php

Who's a good candidate for refractive surgery? You must have healthy, stable eyes. That is, your refractive problems should not be worsening, and you should be 18 or older. Myopia continues to develop until about age 26, so if that's your problem, you should wait until at least that age. There is no upper age limit, but those with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, glaucoma, herpes infections of the eye, or cataracts are not good candidates. People taking certain drugs, such as Accutane for acne, should not undergo this surgery. You must not be pregnant or nursing. The more severe your refractive problem, unfortunately, the less likely you are to experience a satisfactory outcome. The surgery is not recommended for those with severe myopia. Finally, you need to have the money to pay for it. There are a few surgical options for presbyopia, but they are more difficult and still largely experimental. Where can I find a surgeon? Ideally, you should get a referral to a refractive surgeon from your optometrist or ophthalmologist. Or you can get a list of specialists from the American Academy of Ophthalmology (phone 415-561-8500), or from the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (703-591-2220). Only ophthalmologists can do refractive surgery, except in Oklahoma, which allows optometrists to do it; many optometrists work closely with surgeons, providing both pre-operative evaluations and post-operative care. How can I tell if the surgeon is qualified? Ask about how long he/she has been doing the surgery, including the number of operations performed and the success rate. How does he/she define success? What courses has he/she taken? Your surgeon should explain all risks in advance and should carefully determine whether you are a good candidate. Bring all your eye prescription records with you, so that your eye stability can be judged. He/she should measure your pupils, since too-large pupils may rule you out as a candidate. Finally, if the doctor concludes you are not a candidate, don't keep shopping around until you find a surgeon willing to do the operation.
jpl jpl
  • Joined 5/19/03
  • Originally posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 (7 years ago)

Surgical Eyes (now called something like "VSRN", I think) gives lots of anecdotal information about the low-probability, but high-anguish failure modes of LASIK. Combined with my opthamologists' counter-recommendation, and a friend who had to put in eye drops every half hour for 6 months after his LASIK, I decided that glasses are a low price to pay.

• Joined 7/13/99
  • Originally posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 (7 years ago)

Kenneth R Cohen MD Lasik, Epi-Lasik, Lasek Opthalmology. 303 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003 (212) 505-2151

www.eyeinstitutenewyork.com totally trust him He helped when when I had an eye problem from karate.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 (7 years ago)

3000/eye

Mark Speaker

www.tlcvision.com

was recommended by my regular eye doctor.

• Joined 4/12/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

If you're willing to travel, the very best you can get is Dr. Scott McRae at the StrongVision Center at the Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester NY. He helped Bausch & Lomb develop their latest LASIK system. Among the very best results in the industry.

Starts at 5500 for both eyes.

• Joined 9/23/99

AMY...WITHOUT GLASSES!?! :cry: -Eff

• Joined 5/18/04
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

I had it done 7 years ago ... the best thing I ever did ...

You might want to check out this thread

"Change your thoughts, and you change your world" - Norman Vincent Peale.

• Joined 1/20/99
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

I had it done. I'm actually in CA getting a check-up with my doctor now. I flew to California to have it done because my folks (both doctors) were very happy with their lasik from this doctor.

Don't bargain with your eyes.

• Joined 11/19/03
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

Just be sure your corneas are not soft. My dad just had his eye done a few weeks ago and his corneas were so soft that the suction cup they put on his eyes scratched one and made that eye blind. Before that, they thought he was a perfect canidate for lasik. Thankfully, it was mild enough that it could be fixed with the old kind of laser surgery where they structure the outside of the cornea instead of cutting the flap and doing the inside, but it takes 3 weeks to be able to see fully again.

• Joined 12/8/02

PRK?

Nurseboy had that. There's longer recovery times, but it seems to be safer, with fewer side-effects, and less risk should you need to "adjust" your eyes again later.

• Joined 8/14/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

If you're willing to travel but would rather take a train than a plane, check out http://www.seewithlasik.com/

I did a story on Dr. Satish Modi and he really seems to know the hell out of the stuff. I'll drive you to and from the train station.

I can send you a pdf of the finished newspaper story (the free archives only go a week) if you want more details.

• Joined 1/23/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

C'mon over to my place. I got a pocket knife and some tweezers. I'll fix ya right up.

• Joined 12/21/99

cringe

:o

• Joined 2/25/00
Quoted from "Effervescent"
AMY...WITHOUT GLASSES!?! :cry: -Eff

Disco's brother Fuzzy recently got LASIK here in Chicago - and since he was known for his glasses, he actually got himself some non-prescription ones to wear occasionally.

We are the keepers of Funny, the Judges, the Whisperers. We are Superior Naysayers And Rebukers of Knavery. We are SNARK. - Boosh!

• Joined 7/13/05
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

NPR recently did a piece on LASIK

Your Health Your Questions on Lasik Eye Surgery by Vikki Valentine NPR.org, October 19, 2006 We asked for your questions last week after features on the vision-correcting surgical procedures Lasik and radial keratotomy.

• Joined 5/18/04
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)
Quoted from "Miss Behave"
I am looking for a good DR here in NYC to perform Lasik on my eyes. I'm not sure how to go about finding someone reputable. There are lots of ads but I don't want to pick someone just because they are a bargain. Any advice on what to look for or expect?

Maybe some of these links might help you make an informed decision: http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/ http://ezinearticles.com/?Secrets-to-Finding-the-Best-Lasik-Eye-Surgeon-in-Any-Major-City&id=412207 http://www.mandelvision.com/html/drmandel.html http://www.lasik1.com/comdir/DrChynn.html

"Change your thoughts, and you change your world" - Norman Vincent Peale.

• Joined 8/31/05
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

I had it done in October and I LOVE it!

I'm in N.O., so I can't recommend anyone to you, but I can tell you what to expect. Just be sure to ask a bunch of questions when you have your consultation. This is a big deal, so make sure you re comfortable.

I was very nervous, but they give you groovy drugs 1/2 prior to surgery. This claw like contraption holds your eyes open. Then, the Dr. told me to let him know when my vision goes black. I never felt any pain whatsoever, just pressure. The whole experience was so weird. I was relaxed (due to the groovy drugs) but in mind I was screaming and freaking. I was like "Oh my God, this thing is holding my eye open like some weird alien experiment. Oh my God, I can't see anything, I'm blind!!!" But on the outside I was like "groovy baby, I'm like totally blind right now, that's some cool sh t."

The results were instant. As soon as we were done, I had 20/20 vision, which is great for me b/c prior to surgery I could barely read the "E." He gave me a script for sleeping pills and told me to sleep for the rest of the day to let my eyes rest. Which I strongly recommend b/c stupid me tried to stay up and eat, but then my eyes started burning. The only uncomfortable thing was the eye shields I had to wear for three nights. You look like a giant fly. My husband just loved making fun of me. haha.

Good Luck! I hope you decide to do it! I just love waking up in the morning and not have to reach for glasses.

Oh! I forgot to mention that it has helped my night vision significantly. I don't see the horrible blinding halos around headlights or streetlights or anything.

angela

• Joined 4/12/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

Concerning "halos": spend the extra to get bladeless lasik. The chances of seeing nightime halos are 10 times lower with bladeless vs. bladed. The only difference is that they use a laser to slice the corneal flap instead of a sharp blade.

• Joined 5/18/04
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

The LASIK technique becomes almost irrelevant if the incision is not made in the correct place. There are a number of causes of halos.

"Change your thoughts, and you change your world" - Norman Vincent Peale.

• Joined 2/5/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

Do it, I had it done just over 2 years ago, it is awesome...my vision is now roughly 20/15, better than I have ever seen in my entire life. Really there is very little difference between having a blade do the cutting or a laser, I had the blade, everything is fine no halos...plus your eyes tend to heal a little faster because of the rougher edges of the cut...

The weirdest thing was waking up the next day and being able to see perfectly...

I may not live there anymore, but my dancing feet will always be from L.A.

• Joined 5/18/04
Quoted from "sdswinger"

I had it done over 7 years ago, and I still marvel at how well I can see when I wake up ... best decision I ever made, best spending I ever did!

"Change your thoughts, and you change your world" - Norman Vincent Peale.

• Joined 12/19/99
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

You might also consider getting a recommendation from an eye care professional who's opinion you, or someone you trust, values highly. If you need the name of someone for an exam and recommendation, pm me.

• Joined 1/7/04
Quoted from "bobina"

ROFLMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Joined 1/30/00
  • Originally posted Thursday, March 1, 2007 (7 years ago)

Thanks all. Seeing would be exciting.

• Joined 1/21/99
  • Originally posted Friday, March 2, 2007 (7 years ago)
  • Joined 12/8/04
  • Originally posted Tuesday, May 24, 2011 (3 years ago)

I'm reviving this thread - I've been contemplating getting lasik for a while now but due to severe myopia (I wear -9 and -10 contacts) and a former eye doctor who refused to give me a recommendation put it off. My new doctor (of 5 years now) gave me a recommendation for someone who has really good reviews online but a few really negative ones and some of the positive sound suspiciously alike.

So I've got a little freaking out going on. And I know technology changes a lot quickly, so I'm wondering if anyone has had lasik done recently and how they felt about the results.

And of course, NYC recommendations (in addition to what's been made) are welcome.

• Joined 12/8/04
  • Originally posted Monday, August 8, 2011 (3 years ago)

Appointment made for one month from now at Gotham Lasik. Anxiety already going to work on me. Apparently I need the valium now to get me through the next few weeks and the surgery.

• Joined 1/20/99
  • Originally posted Monday, August 8, 2011 (3 years ago)
Response to westiegrrl in post #27 Show

You'll be fine. It's a quick and painless procedure that you will be happy about for years and years to come.

(28 items total, 30 per page)