Healthy food cats like to eat

• Joined 12/24/05

I have a 1 and a half year old cat named Tommy who adopted me when he was a starving stray kitten. I used to feed him crap like Alley Cat from the mini mart, but I decided to give him better quality food.

My dog likes Natural Balance duck and potato, so I got Tommy Natural Balance, kitten to adult formula. He hates it. He'll eat it, but never very much of it. Obviously, he got used to the junk food I was giving him.

He's an indoor/outdoor cat so he might be hunting to supplement his weight which the vet says is healthy for his size (12 pounds.)

Any suggestions on "gourmet" healthy dry cat food that cats actually like?

Meow.

]

Yehoodi Featured Topics

(20 items total, 30 per page)

• Joined 1/2/02
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

wellness has a variety of flavors with natural ingredients

• Joined 1/23/01

Cats are carnivores.

Get 'im a steak, or some tuna.

alf alf
  • Joined 10/18/05
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

I never met a cat that didn't like canned tuna.

Tolerance for dry food varies by cat and by how long the human is willing to let kitty go hungry.

• Joined 4/19/02
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

You could always check out this thread.

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

• Joined 7/7/05
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

I feed my cat Nutro Natural Choice adult cat food, and she likes it. There is a kitten formula too. I get it at Petsmart.

• Joined 9/2/99
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

Just steak or tuna won't cut it. The thing about being a carnivore is that you eat the entirety of the animal. The organs are where all the essential vitamins and such are located, not to mention bone marrow and such.

• Joined 11/20/00
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

My cat is currently eating Paul Newman's organic food (turkey and rice formula). But she's not a picky cat.

If you go to a good pet store, there will be dozens of options of healthy and/or organic cat foods to choose from. I'm sure you'll find something he'll like.

• Joined 3/22/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

I second the wellness recommendation. I feed my cats their canned food, but their dry food is pretty good as well. Just make sure you don't feed him anything you can find in a supermarket. Yes, I'm paranoid because of the pet food disaster.

• Joined 9/2/99
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

I forwarded your question to my wife, Erin, who is a veterinarian. She read the thread and here is her response:

In general, I'm a fan of high-quality wet foods for cats. Cats are much closer to pure carnivores and, by forcing a carb-based diet down their throats because it's more convenient for us (no need to meal feed when you can leave dry food out all day), we see a high rate of obesity and Type II diabetes among older kitties. In fact, many vets put overweight diabetic cats on wet food (usually a growth formula at first) in conjunction with insulin treatments to help reduce the amount of insulin the cat needs to get. In some cases, you can eliminate the need for insulin altogether that way. A mentor of mine used to refer to the wet growth formula as "mouse in a can." I saw where people were recommending steak or tuna for cats. While tuna is tasty and can be used to help coax a cat into eating, feeding just that will deplete their Vitamin E and Vitamin B levels (the latter because of an enzyme called thiaminase present in undercooked tuna). Serious complications can result from either deficiency. That said, reasonable portions of the canned foods need to be set out, too, otherwise kitty will get fat and set up the cycle of insulin resistance that way. Adjust portion size to weight, frame, and activity level -- often the food container will have a rough chart for estimating that sort of thing. As far as specific recommendations: I'm a fan of Iams, Science Diet, and Eukanuba. They contain consistently high-quality products and the companies do a substantial amount of research with regard to their diets, palatability, and integration into a healthy lifestyle.
  • Joined 4/14/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

This is just begging for a parody thread of "Junk food cats like to eat."

• Joined 11/20/00
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

We have that thread already.

alf alf
  • Joined 10/18/05
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

which toni referenced this very morning :lol:

• Joined 4/14/01
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

Would that make this the parody thread?

I thought we had that, I just didn't feel like searching for it.

• Joined 12/24/05
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

Thanks everybody. Not sure which brand to go with yet, but I have plenty of options now.

I don't give my cat wet food because he won't eat it. And the only human food I've ever seen him eat is anchovies. But he loves geckos. Boy does he love to eat geckos. I've rescused at least 5 geckos that Tommy had eaten the tail off and was about to eat the rest of the body. He also brings home half eaten birds (pigeons, sparrows, etc.) and once a mouse.

It freaks me out eveytime, but they are supposed to be "presents" for me from him right?

P.S. I have a friend who puts out three bowls, each with a differnt kind of dry food, plus one plate of wet food, for her cat every day so he can graze and choose as he pleases. She pours the water from canned tuna over the dry food bowls. (He won't eat the actual tuna.) He's not fat. In fact, he gets sick a lot so he's underweight. He's just really old and she wants him to be happy.

• Joined 11/20/00
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

Not all cats overeat. We keep dry food out all day, and give Tabitha a small can of food at night and she is underweight. (We've tried giving her more wet food but she won't eat it.)

• Joined 3/23/07
  • Originally posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 (6 years ago)

What types of wet food are you guys feeding your cats? I've found my cats (and dogs) absolutely refuse to touch anything that's "sliced [whatever] in sauce," because it's not really meat in gravy, just pressed and processed something-or-other swimming in gloppy gloop. I think it's mostly fillers.

However, they'll happily devour the exact same brand of wet food when I buy the kind that's closest to being actual meat -- no "sauce." So, for example, my cat wolfs down "salmon dinner" but won't touch "sliced salmon in sauce." No matter what the brand.

• Joined 12/24/05
  • Originally posted Friday, September 7, 2007 (6 years ago)

[quote="dancerx"]What types of wet food are you guys feeding your cats? [quote]

I tried about a half dozen different types of fancy feast. Rejected each time.

• Joined 7/13/99
  • Originally posted Friday, September 7, 2007 (6 years ago)

I give Sadie chunk light tuna. Cats are little lions, and lions dont eat rice or potatos, they eat protien and fat, that is it. Not every cat is fat, but what is it with all the carbs in pet food? I don't give her dry food all the time, but it's good for her teeth. My Sadie loves tuna, and will leave her dry food alone and wait for it with her begging face on.

• Joined 10/3/00
  • Originally posted Saturday, September 8, 2007 (6 years ago)

I feed my cats Innova Evo. It is made for obligate carnivores (which cats are) which means there is no grain which is just filler in other pet foods anyway since they don't process it.

I highly reccommend it, and my vet was thrilled to hear I was feeding them Evo.

• Joined 10/3/00
  • Originally posted Saturday, September 8, 2007 (6 years ago)

Oh and one more thing, since I leave the food out all day my cats regulate their feeding. Now with Evo they eat less, shed less, use the litter box less, and my kitty who was a little overweight (nothing to worry about) is now a normal weight.

Obviously I think this stuff is the bees knees and I'm well aware that sometimes my cats are eating better then I am.

(20 items total, 30 per page)