Episode #011 of the Hey Mister Jesse podcast is now available to download and enjoy. November's show features news, a new feature called 2 Second Spins, a song by, interview with and 8-Count Swing featuring Ernestine Anderson and listener comments. (72 minutes)
|00:44||Welcome to episode #011 of Hey Mister Jesse.|
|01:36||News: Recap of the Yehoodi 8th Anniversary Party in New York City.|
|06:35||News: Yehoodi Radio
- November Guest DJ is Damon Stone from Oakland, CA.
|07:51||News: Recent Finds
- "Let The Good Times Roll" by Ray Charles and The Count Basie Orchestra - Ray Sings, Basie Swings
- "The I'm-Too-White-To-Sing-The-Blues Blues" by Ann Hampton Calloway - Blues In The Night
|14:59||News: Available on iTunes
- "Every Day I Have The Blues" by The Four Tops - Lost and Found (available in iTunes) - Correction: The previously featured "Sent For You Yesterday" by The Mills Brothers and Count Basie is in fact widely available on the reissued CD of The Board of Directors & Annual Report
|17:37||2 Second Spins: A new feature on the show!
- Jesse has to guess songs based on 2 second intros to swinging songs.
- Play along at home!
|24:03||Song: "On The Sunny Side Of The Street" by Ernestine Anderson and the Junior Mance Trio - Recorded live at Y8A.|
|32:09||Interview: Ernestine Anderson|
|52:52||8-Count Swing: Ernestine Anderson
8 of my favorite swinging tracks by Ernestine Anderson.
8. "Be Mine Tonight" - Be Mine Tonight
Note (forgot to mention this on the show!): Many of these tracks are available on the compilation Great Moments With Ernestine Anderson (or on the more widely available The Concord Jazz Heritage Series).
- Email from Bronwyn Bryant looking for a 200 bpm version of "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate". I don't have an answer for her, but it did remind me of a great version of the song by Frances Faye from her album Caught In The Act (available in iTunes).
- Mention of Brian Renehan's MLX6 podcasts.
- Audio comment from Yehoodi's own Slick Rik about "Idlewild Blues" by Outkast.
Submit your questions and comments via email to email@example.com or by calling our comment line 201-984-SHOW(7469).