May's show features lots of news, an in depth discussion about the increased royalty rates threatening Yehoodi Radio, an 8-Count Swing featuring 8 of Jesse's favorite swinging instrumental Duke Ellington songs, an interview with Jonathan Stout, a soon-to-be-released song by Jonathan Stout and His Campus Five, and listener comments. (71 minutes)
The future of Internet radio is in immediate danger. Royalty rates for webcasters have been drastically increased by a recent ruling and are due to go into effect on July 15 (retroactive to Jan 1, 2006!). Internet radio needs your help! H.R. 2060, The Internet Radio Equality Act was introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL) to save the Internet radio industry. Please call your congressperson to ask them to co-sponsor H.R. 2060.
Proposed increases to royalty rates paid by internet broadcasts such as Yehoodi Radio threate
Yehoodi Radio has joined forces with other webcasters as part of the Save Net Radio coalition. Our current goal is to pass HR 2060 (Internet Radio Equality Act) in the US House of Representatives. A similar bill will be introduced soon in the Senate.
In recent meetings with members of Congress, it is clear that they are starting to hear the message -- particularly when they hear it from listeners like you.
It's vital that we keep the calls, faxes, and letters coming. If you haven't already done so, please use the SaveNetRadio site to contact your local representative and your Senators. Phone calls are particularly effective.
Here's what to do:
# Educate yourself. Check out the information on the SaveNetRadio.org website and stay in touch with ongoing developments via Kurt Hanson's newsletter.
# Send messages to your members of Congress. This is a new phone call & letter campaign. Even if you've already signed a petition or sent an email or letter, please take a few minutes to do it again. Congress needs to get the message loud & clear.
# Make your voice heard online and in the mainstream media. Let everyone know what a personal loss it would be to you if RP and your other favorite Internet radio stations went away.
# You can also participate in the discussion about this issue in our Listener Forum and on the Save Our Internet Radio Blog.
Thanks a lot for following through on these suggestions, and stay tuned for other ways you can help.
|00:49||Welcome to episode #016 of Hey Mister Jesse.|
|02:21||News: Yehoodi Radio
- May Guest DJ is Jason Provost (Boston, MA)
- Explanation of the royalty issue and its threat to Yehoodi Radio
|13:06||News: Frankie Manning: Ambassador To Lindy Hop
- Frankie Manning's autobiography is coming out soon.
- On May 26th, Frankie's birthday, please pre-order from Amazon.com to help make the book a best-seller.
- For more information: www.frankiemanning.com
|14:00||News: Anita O'Day - The Life Of A Jazz Singer
- For more information about the documentary (watch the trailer!): www.anitaoday.com/documentary.html
|14:58||News: Follow up on kid-friendly 8-Count Swing
- CD contest winner: Barbara and Parker Beyun
- Voice mail from Marc D'Olimpio
- Elmo's Potty Time DVD
- John Lithgow - The Sunny Side Of The Street
|20:12||News: Hawaiian Swing
- Andy Iona - Hawaiians In Hollywood: Smooth, Sweet & Swinging 1934-1936
|22:57||News: eMusic Swings The Blues Internationally
- "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Curly Bridges - Keys To The Blues
- "He's Got The Whole World" by Thilo Wolf Big Band w/ Joan Faulkner - Big Band Shout
- "Baby Workout" by Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings with Beverley Skeete - Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings Live
8-Count Swing: Strictly Instrumental Duke Ellington
8. "C Jam Blues" - Blues In Orbit (available in iTunes)
Please let us know if YOU have an 8-Count Swing suggestion.
Interview: Jonathan Stout
Song: "Moppin' and Boppin'" by Jonathan Stout and His Campus Five, Featuring Hillary Alexander - Moppin' and Boppin' (available soon!)
- Comment from Chef Mark (New York, New York) - Remarkable Palate Podcast
- Question from Robert Cullen (Eindhoven, Netherlands)