Welcome to episode #032 of Hey Mister Jesse. August's show features the Nagel-Heyer label highlighted on eMusic, the divas of swing in a new 2-Second Spins, a delicious 8-Count Swing, lots of audience feedback and a Bob Marley vs. The Squirrel Nut Zippers mash-up! (68 minutes)
|00:42||Welcome to episode #032 of Hey Mister Jesse.|
|01:37||News: Yehoodi Radio
- August Guest DJ: Freddie Dickinson (Seattle, WA)
|03:23||News: The Squirrel Nut Zippers and Bob Marley Have A Swinging Love-Child
- "No Squirrel No Cry" by DJ G3rst
- Bob Marley's "No Woman No Cry" vs. The Squirrel Nut Zippers' "Prince Nez"
- To download this mash-up for free, visit www.g3rst.com
- To check out other mash-ups, visit www.mashuptown.com
|06:14||News: Na Hoku Hanohano Awards
- 2008 Best Female Vocalist Album: Napua Greig - Pihana
- To check out all 2008 award winners, visit www.mele.com/na_hoku_hanohano/2008
|09:27||News: LindyGroove's 7th Anniversary Party Review
- Live swinging music with Barbara Morrison and Johnny Boyd!!!
- For more information about LindyGroove: www.lindygroove.com
|12:20||News: Recent Finds
- Blue Harlem - Talk To Me (available from AmazonMp3, iTunes Plus and eMusic!!!) (Thanks to Hayden for this recommendation!)
- Jimmy Witherspoon - Definitive Black & Blue Sessions: With Panama Francis' Savoy Sultans (available from AmazonMp3, iTunes Plus and eMusic!!!)
|16:51||News: Nagel-Heyer on eMusic
- "Yacht Club Swing" by Ralph Sutton - Sweet Sue (The Music Of Fats Waller - Volume 1)
- "Harlem Sundown" by Dan Barrett - Harlem 2000
- "Papa What Are You Trying To Do To Me I've Been Doing It For Years" - by Randy Sandke The Re-Discovered Louis & Bix
And check out all Nagel-Heyer selections available on eMusic.
|23:49||2-Second Spins: The Divas of Swing
- Jesse has to guess songs based on 2-second intros to swinging songs.
- Play along at home!
ANSWERS (don't read if you haven't listened to the show already):
- Song 1: "Massachusetts" by Maxine Sullivan - A Tribute To Andy Razaf (available from AmazonMp3, iTunes Plus and eMusic!!!)
8-Count Swing: Food Songs
8. "Free Eats" by Girls From Mars - Planet Swing (available from AmazonMp3 and iTunes Plus)
- "Save The Bones For Henry Jones" by Nat King Cole - Nat King Cole (available from AmazonMp3 and iTunes Plus)
Producers Picks on Yehoodi Radio:
Please let us know if YOU have an 8-Count Swing suggestion.
- Kristin Buxton (Pasadena, CA) tips us off to tracks by Acker Bilk & His Paramount Jazz Band available on Amazon's mp3 service for FREE.
- Wil Reed (Connecticut) recommends the track "A Smooth One" from the album Strawberry by The Asylum Street Spankers (available from AmazonMp3, iTunes Plus and eMusic).
- Marc D'Olimpio (France) recommends an intense version of "Stormy Monday Blues" by Bobby "Blue" Bland from the album The Anthology (available from AmazonMp3 and iTunes Plus).
- Robert Cullen (Netherlands) writes in about dancing live to Bernard Berkhout's big band and recommends looking for used copies of The Big 18's albums on www.amazon.de.
- Jimmy Sapienza (Pittsburgh, PA) thanks us for mentioning his band on the show and shares his band band recording (with a great slide show!) of I Love Pittsburgh on youtube.com.
- Henrik Eriksson (Uppsala, Sweden) recommends "Beale Street On A Saturday Night" by Calvin Boze and Comfy Chair's Party On The Titanic (available from AmazonMp3 and iTunes Plus). Don't forget to regularly read Henrik's great blog Swing, Jazz and Blues - Dance To The Music, especially his recent post about how you can support his blog.
- Morgan Day (Orange, CA) recommends The Firecracker Jazz Band's album "Explodes".
Song: "No Squirrel No Cry" by DJ G3rst